Simply confirm your registered email address below and click "Reset Password." We will immediately email you a link back to the site where you can enter a new password for this account.
We've found your existing Indianapolis Monthly Insiders account. Please login below to complete the Facebook login process.
1. The Smoking Goose Kitchen Sink Sausages These rich, meaty links pay homage to the Hoosier State’s other great treasure (pork!), combining bacon with pork shoulder, heart, and liver, kicked up with a touch of mustard and spice. Available at Goose the Market, 2503 N. Delaware St., 317-924-4944, goosethemarket.com
2. Fermenti Artisan Curtido Top your sausages with this fusion kraut, a traditional condiment for El Salvadoran pupusas that marries classic fermented cabbage with cilantro and chiles. Just don’t tell the guys it’s actually good for them. Fermenti Artisan at City Market, 22 E. Market St., 317-493-1652
3. Sunset Acres Horseradish Cheddar The creamy raw-milk cheddar from this Amish cheesemaker in Rockville packs just enough bite to make for addictive snacking. Try to not eat it all before halftime. Available at INgredients, 5628 E. 71st St., 317-570-3663, ingredientsindy.com; and Pogue’s Run Grocer, 2828 E. 10th St., 317-426-4963, poguesrungrocer.org
4. Daredevil Brewing Co. Lift Off IPA A can of this smooth-drinking, citrusy brew from Shelbyville offers hints of grapefruit and pine—a classic IPA that’s as American as basketball itself. daredevilbeer.com
5. Just Pop In Hoosier Momma Bloody Mary Popcorn The combination of tangy tomato, Worcestershire sauce, and horseradish recalls the now–nationally known Bloody Mary mix that inspired one of Just Pop In’s most original popcorn creations. Get it in a tin dedicated to your favorite Hoosier team. justpopinonline.com
6. Crazy Charlie’s Gourmet Chili Sauce Whip up a quick chili with your favorite ground meat and this chunky tomato-and-onion–based sauce created by former Allison Transmission electrician Charlie Ferguson. Available in mild or zesty. Multiple vendors, cgsalsa.com
7. Upland Brewing Co. Champagne Velvet This reissued lager, brewed by the Terre Haute Brewing Co. from the turn of the last century to the 1950s, is a quintessential Hoosier thirst-quencher, and it sports a spiffy vintage label. champagnevelvetbeer.com
8. LocalFolks Foods Country Fresh Hot Garden Salsa The slow heat of this farmstead-inspired salsa from Sheridan lets the bright flavors of bell pepper and cider vinegar shine through so you won’t overheat when the game goes into overtime. Multiple vendors, localfolksfoods.com
9. Hunky Jack’s Hot Pepper Mix Westside pickle-maker Jack Rogers supplied jars of these spicy peppers and veggies, originally concocted from a Slovenian immigrant recipe, to Haughville neighborhood bars. Now they’re produced by his son, Dave. Available at Goose the Market, 2503 N. Delaware St., 317-924-4944, goosethemarket.com
10. Broad Ripple Potato Chip Co. Potato Chips Mark McSweeney’s handcrafted, moderately thick chips have the crunch of the best without all the salt to hide the earthy flavor of the potatoes. Great for dipping or just on their own. Available at Pogue’s Run Grocer, 2828 E. 10th St., 317-426-4963, poguesrungrocer.org
11. Sun King Ring of Dingle Irish Dry Stout Indulge in two great March traditions at once as you kill a can of this dark-yet-crisp Irish stout with malty, roasted undertones. 135 N. College Ave., 317-602-3702, sunkingbrewing.com
Photo by Stacy NewgentThis article appeared in the March 2014 issue.
NOTE: This thread is moderated, comments will not post immediately.
1 Swoon List: Best Dining2 Hot List: Top Shopping3 25 Best Bars4 25 Best Restaurants5 Five Great Indiana Lakes6 24 Cheap-Eat Spots7 15 Destination Dinners8 10 Notorious Crimes9 Top 20 Sports Bars10 Five Fantastic Road Trips
Copyright © 2014. All rights reserved.