Login / Register
ORNo Account? Register here.
Video Recipe: Bibingka by Wyliepalooza
Cassandra Salimeno imparts to us yet another indulgent sweet.
Growing up in a customary Filipino family, Cassandra Salimeno’s first exposure to baking was a little more involved than Funfetti cake and an Easy-Bake Oven. Instead, the Wyliepalooza owner learned to confect treats true to her roots, like bibingka, a sticky rice cake she ate incessantly at family gatherings as a child. “There are typically three things around when Filipinos get together: rice, bibingka, and karaoke.” Here, Salimeno puts a spin on her grandmother’s original recipe.
• 5 eggs
• 1/2 cup butter, softened
• 1 cup milk
• 1 cup coconut milk
• 1/2 cup condensed milk
• 1 tsp. vanilla
• 3 1/2 cups sweet rice flour
• 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
• 1 cup brown sugar
• 1 tsp. baking powder
• 1 cup coconut flakes
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Beat the eggs and then combine them with the butter, milk, and vanilla in a large bowl. Mix well.
3. Combine the flour, sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, and coconut flakes in a separate bowl. Add to wet ingredients and mix well.
4. Pour mixture into a greased 13-by-9–inch pan and bake one hour. Garnish as desired. (Shown here with strawberry topping, coconut ice cream, and whipped cream.)
Video by Felicia Lahti
This article appeared in the February 2014 issue.