Login / Register
ORNo Account? Register here.
Video Recipe: Diver Scallops by Kathy Jones of Junonia
Sear-worthy mollusks make the plunge into City Market.
When she’s not making her signature meatballs at Iozzo’s Garden of Italy, Chef Kathy Jones showboats an encyclopedia of oceanic knowledge at Junonia, her new seafood stand in City Market. “Ninety percent of the time, I know where the fish came from, the boat it came off of, and the date it was caught,” Jones says of her inventory. Here, she provides a foolproof recipe featuring one of her best sellers: diver scallops.
• 1 pound diver scallops, available at Junonia
• 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
• Zest of 1 orange
• 2 Tbsp. white wine (chardonnay recommended)
• ½ tsp. butter
1. Place saute pan on medium-to-high heat.
2. When the pan is hot, add the olive oil.
3. When the oil starts to glisten, add the scallops.
4. Sear the scallops for 1–2 minutes on each side.
5. Add shallots and orange zest to the skillet with the scallops and simmer for 30 seconds without turning the scallops.
6. Add the white wine; heat until the liquid reduces by half (about 30 seconds).
7. Add the butter and remove pan from heat.
8. Plate the scallops and top with the
wine-butter reduction. Serves 3–4.
Photo by Tony Valainis; video by Felicia Lahti.
This article appeared in the January 2014 issue.