Login / Register
ORNo Account? Register here.
Video Recipe: Gourmet Popcorn Cups by Just Pop In
As it hits its 10th anniversary, Indy’s homespun gourmet popcorn brand scares up a recipe for Halloween fun.
When twin sisters Carly Swift and Mandy Selke launched Just Pop In 10 years ago in a tiny Broad Ripple storefront, the beckoning scent of freshly popped corn nearly stopped traffic along Guilford Avenue. Talk about the sweet smell of success: Swift and Selke, who have since added a kiosk and a gift shop at Indianapolis International Airport, feature a rotating selection of about 40 popcorns. Last year, they popped 40,000 pounds of corn.
Through it all, the intoxicating aroma has proven to be their ultimate selling tool. “At the airport, we’re in Terminal B,” Selke says, “and you can practically smell our popcorn in pre-security.” Here, the sisters trick out one of their most decadent fall flavors.
• 1 package puff-pastry dough
• 2 Tbsp. melted butter
• Sugar and sea salt, for sprinkling
• 1 jar Nutella
• Just Pop In’s White Chocolate Peanut Butter popcorn
1. Roll pastry crust thin and cut into 2-inch circles.
2. Brush butter around edges of dough and sprinkle with sugar, salt, or a combination of the two.
3. Place discs of dough into the compartments of a nonstick mini-muffin tray.
3. Add ½ tablespoon Nutella to the center of each pastry.
4. Bake at 400 degrees for about 8 minutes.
5. Top with popcorn.
Yields about 2 dozen treats
Photo by Tony Valainis
This article appeared in the October 2013 issue.