Login / Register
ORNo Account? Register here.
Video Recipe: Watermelon Salad by A Couple Cooks
This salty-sweet dish takes fruit salad in a whole new direction.
By day, they work for technical-communications company Avalon Group (she as a partner and writer, he as a designer). In their free time, Sonja and Alex Overhiser, the adorably vigilant couple behind four-year-old food blog A Couple Cooks, spend a lot of time in their kitchen, creating whole-food recipes that jibe with their all-natural, “flexitarian” (modified vegetarian) lifestyle. Here, they offer a refreshing watermelon salad—salted to bring out the sweetness of the fruit.
• Half of a large watermelon, chilled
• ½–1 cup crumbled feta cheese
• Olive oil
• Kosher salt
• Fresh ground pepper
• Sprig of fresh rosemary
1. Cut the watermelon into bite-sized cubes. This should amount to about eight cups of fruit.
2. Remove the leaves of the rosemary and chop finely.
3. Arrange the watermelon cubes on individual plates, sprinkle with feta, and lightly drizzle with olive oil. Garnish with a pinch of kosher salt, ground pepper, and a bit of rosemary.
The Overhisers published a cookbook, Green Mango Cafe & Bakery, to benefit at-risk women in Cambodia. It is now available at Goose the Market and more locations.
Photo by Tony Valainis
This article appeared in the September 2013 issue.