Login / Register
ORNo Account? Register here.
What you missed if you were among the legions of fans who couldn’t get in the doors.
Even Tom Crean seemed surprised when he entered Assembly Hall last night and looked up at a sold-out crowd. For the first time in the season-opening event’s history, they had to shut the doors a couple of hours early, with throngs of fans left out in the parking lot. A few things were clear to those lucky enough to get a seat:
• Forget reasonable ticket prices this year. The hype surrounding this team has already driven average prices for Big Ten games to well over $100 on StubHub.
• Cody Zeller can shoot. The 7-footer won the 3-point competition over the favored Jordan Hulls, making it clear the big man has been working on his range.
• Maurice Creek may have some basketball in him yet. Once a 30-point-a-game star, Creek hasn't played much for two years. The perenially injured guard shot the lights out and seemed to move well last night.
• Time to start worrying about Hanner Mosquera-Perea. The second most highly-rated recruit in the celebrated freshman class (after Yogi Ferrell) wore a boot cast last night and has been plagued by a foot injury. He did not participate.
• This team is not shying away from its preseason No. 1 ranking. The giant screen above the court repeatedly touted the number. We'll learn how good the squad actually is on Nov. 1 when they open against Indiana Wesleyan.