Unspoken Rules of The Hilly Hundred
• Very few people look good in Lycra. The trick is not to care.
• Even the best riders once had to walk their bikes up tough hills. No shame in hoofing it.
• “On your left!” Every time.
• Pass someone struggling up a hill? Spare some breath for words of encouragement.
• You’ll see faster riders fly by, but hey—they’re missing out on beautiful fall foliage.
• Injuries happen on the way down. Feather your brakes, using more pressure on the rear.
• Ask before joining a paceline of strangers.
• If you don’t know what a paceline is, don’t try to ride in one.
• Conserve your energy. Mile 90 will not feel like mile 10. Especially if you ate too much of the delicious fried chicken served at lunch.