Recipe: Bread Winner
The owner of Chef Dan’s Southern Comfort whips up a bestseller.
Mississippi native Daniel Carter serves an authentic taste of the bayou at his little yellow food truck and vibrant Irvington restaurant with a menu full of made-from-scratch family recipes. We got the spirited chef to teach us one of his childhood favorites—his grandma’s legendary bread pudding showered with rich caramel sauce.
- 8 cups cubed French bread
- 2 cups milk
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 6 eggs
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Placed cubed bread in an 8-inch-square baking pan.
- Combine all other ingredients in a large mixing bowl; stir.
- Pour the mixture over the cubed bread.
- When the bread has absorbed as much liquid as possible, bake for 45 minutes.
- Allow the dessert to cool while making the caramel sauce.
- For the caramel sauce, heat brown sugar and butter together in a saucepan. As they begin to melt, add the heavy cream; the sauce will thicken.
- Continue to stir the sauce until smooth.
- Drizzle the bread pudding with caramel sauce and serve warm.
This article appeared in our September 2015 issue.