3 cups shredded chicken
1 cup chopped white onion
2 tsp. finely minced garlic
2 tsp. (for mild) finely chopped Serrano peppers
3 large Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
2 oz. water or chicken stock
12 corn tortillas
1 1/2 lb. fresh tomatillos
5 fresh Serrano chiles
3 garlic cloves, unpeeled
1/2 cup fresh cilantro
1 large onion, coarsely chopped
2 tsp. coarse salt
1. Preheat oven broiler to high.
2. Remove husks from tomatillos and rinse under warm water to remove stickiness.
3. On a baking sheet, broil chiles, garlic, and fresh tomatillos on the rack closest to the heat. Turn ingredients once after tops of tomatillos become softened and slightly charred. Entire process should take approximately 7 minutes.
4. Peel garlic and remove tops of chiles.
5. Purée all ingredients in a blender.
6. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
1. Heat large sauté pan over medium heat
2. Add 1 oz. vegetable oil and onions — sauté for 1 minute
3. Add garlic and chopped Serrano peppers, sweat until soft and translucent
4. Add tomato, chicken cilantro, and water. Cook for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Spoon approximately 1 1/2 tablespoons of mixture into tortillas, enough so that when rolled up, each one is about 1 inch wide. Filling should not come too close to the ends for risk of falling out. Secure rolls with toothpicks.
6. In a separate large pot with vegetable oil two inches, enough to cover the pot with two inches of oil, fry rolls in batches of 4 or 5 to insure even cooking. Fry for 3-t0-5 minutes, or until golden brown. (Helpful tip: Once rolls float, cook for an additional minutes.)
7. Drain on paper towel or cooling rack.
8. Top taquitos with tomatillo salsa. Serve with dipping choices of sour cream, salsa, and guacamole.