Recipe: Ganyon’s Salad by Becky Hostetter of Duos
When Becky Hostetter started the Duos food truck in 2010, her mobile kitchen couldn’t have been more different from the flood of street-food options that hit before Indy hosted the Super Bowl. While everyone else served up trendy fare, like cupcakes, tacos, and mac ’n’ cheese, Hostetter focused on fresh, flavorful dishes, from roasted eggplant to tempeh Reubens. That risk paid off: Hostetter and co-owner John Garnier have since opened two kitchen locations, and the truck still draws a lengthy line of customers during downtown’s lunch-hour rush. Here, the veteran chef divulges her go-to salad recipe, which will appear on menus this spring.
Ganyon’s Salad, Makes 4 Servings
» 2 hard-boiled eggs
» 1 tablespoon fresh basil,
» 1 teaspoon salt
» 1 teaspoon dry mustard
» ½ teaspoon black pepper
» 3 cloves of garlic, minced
» ¼ cup red-wine vinegar
» 1 squeeze of a lemon
» ¾ cup olive oil
» 4 cups chopped romaine
» ½ cup radishes
» ½ red onion
1. Chop and smash the eggs into small bits. Combine the eggs and basil. Set aside.
2. In a separate bowl, stir together the remaining dressing ingredients, except for the olive oil. Slowly pour that mixture into the bowl containing the eggs and basil.
3. Whisk the ingredients together. Then slowly add the olive oil and continue to whisk the dressing ingredients together until combined.
4. Chop the veggies. Make sure the radishes and red onion are thinly sliced.
5. Combine the veggies in a large salad bowl. Drizzle the salad with dressing and toss well. Top with your favorite croutons.