Swoon List 9.9.14
- The Ball & Biscuit’s (331 Massachusetts Ave., 317-636-0539) smooth, tart Plantation Daiquiri, which makes the transition from summer drink to fall with its mix of fresh lime juice, simple syrup, and rum. The drink is part of B&B’s featured “An Education of Rum” menu.
- The suitably sloppy seitan gyro from Three Carrots at City Market (222 E. Market St., 317-409-5867), with tender, seasoned shreds of housemade wheat gluten, fresh tomatoes, lettuce, and cucumbers topped with a light cucumber dressing on a soft pita—the closest vegetarian approximation to the classic Greek sandwich we’ve ever tried.
- The Hawaiian burger at Teddy’s Burger Joint (2222 W. Southport Rd., 317-893-2791), topped with provolone, smoked ham, grilled pineapple, and a soft fried egg.
- Chewy, veggie-filled steamed spinach dumplings at Naisa Pan-Asian Cafe (1025 Virginia Ave., 317-602-3708), stuffed with a finely chopped mix of cabbage, carrots, mushrooms, and celery and drizzled with a mild garlic-ginger sauce—comfort food from a different continent.
- The baked-Brie starter at The Aristocrat (5212 N. College Ave., 317-283-7388), crowned with toasted almonds and a delicate brown-sugar crust. Served with apples and pretzel bread for dipping.