Ikea Update: Furniture Has Arrived!
While we close in on news of the grand opening, which hinges on the construction schedule, we checked up on the progress at the Ikea Fishers store:
- The entire management team is in place, and their offices are furnished. People are working! Eventually, the back rooms will include a staff cafe where employees can buy $3 meals.
- Hiring continues, in waves to support the build-out. Right now, the Ikea website lists jobs for security, food service, and facilities management.
- More jobs will be filled later, in case your heart is set on becoming an “active seller” who re-props room settings when customers take accessories out of them. (That’s a rookie mistake. Shoppers are supposed to leave decor in place and find items they want elsewhere in the store, a location indicated on every item’s red tag.)
- Don’t like sales jobs? How about babysitting in Småland or greeting customers?
- Installation of the solar roof is underway.
- Partition walls are in place, establishing the meandering path through the vast showroom. A big chunk of your future Saturdays has been mapped out.
- The walls for the As-Is section are up.
- Restaurant equipment has arrived—the best deal at Ikea might be the $1 breakfast.
- Soon, staff will start assembling furniture for the room settings, with the help of an outside vendor who wields Allen wrenches for Ikea around the country.
- The inventory will be the last thing to arrive—except for the rabid shoppers who will line up two days in advance of the opening.
- If you’re a member of the free Ikea Family discount program, set a reminder to change your home store to the Fishers location. Do that here.