Top Stops On Brown County’s Art Tours
Dozens of local galleries and studios showcase a broad sampling of visual arts and handicrafts—here are a few stops you shouldn’t miss.
This article is part of the Rediscover Brown County package in the October 2016 Indianapolis Monthly issue. For more on our favorite fall destination, click here.
The rambling Back Roads of Brown County fall studio tour has been an October travel fixture for years. Now it has an in-town cousin: the Village ArtWalk, launched in 2014 and held on the second Saturday of each month from May to November. More than a dozen local galleries and studios showcase a broad sampling of visual arts and handicrafts—here are five stops you shouldn’t miss. 812-837-9607, artalliancebrowncounty.org
1. With two stories of galleries and styles ranging from traditional to modern, the Brown County Art Guild, located in the circa-1850s Minor House, displays work by local and regional artists. 48 S. Van Buren St., 812-988-6185, browncountyartguild.org
2. The Iris Garden Gallery is full of pottery and breathtaking, larger-than-life canvases depicting flowers, misty hills, and weathered farmers, all in an old barn surrounded by pretty gardens. 79 N. Van Buren St., 812-988-2422, visitbrowncounty.com
3. A direct link to the area’s historic arts legacy, the Brown County Art Gallery shows some of the top Indiana artists of today (and yesteryear) in five newly expanded gallery spaces. 1 Artist Dr., 812-988-4609, browncountyartgallery.org
4. B3 Gallery is a prime spot for refined souvenir shopping: In addition to the pottery, glass, leatherwork, and other art and artisan pieces, you’ll find mugs, ornaments, postcards, and keepsakes—everything handmade in Indiana. 61 W. Main St., 812-988-6675
5. Ceramics, handcrafted jewelry, woodwork, and a host of other media crowd the small-but-cozy Hoosier Artist Gallery, as well as a good variety of paintings and photography. 45 S. Jefferson St., 812-988-6888, hoosierartist.net
THERE’S A (M)APP FOR THAT!
The Discover Brown County app automatically loads your phone’s mapping application with directions to all 22 of the far-flung studios on the self-guided Back Roads of Brown County tour.