Mini Chocolate-Covered Strawberry Whoopie Pies
» 1 3/4 cups flour
» 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
» ½ cup dark cocoa powder
» 1/2 cup unsalted butter (room temperature)
» 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
» 1 large egg
» 3/4 cup sour cream
» 1 cup Ghirardelli bittersweet chocolate chips
» Sprinkles or granulated sugar for decoration
Strawberry buttercream filling
» 2 cups unsalted butter (room temperature)
» 4 cups powdered sugar
» 1/4 cup pureed strawberries
Makes 24-30 mini whoopie pies.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine flour, baking powder, and cocoa powder in a mixing bowl and stir until combined.
3. Place butter and sugar in a separate bowl and beat with a mixer on medium speed for about 2 minutes or until the mixture is light and airy.
4. Add egg and beat the mixture for another 30 seconds on medium speed.
5. Put the mixer on low and slowly add in the dry ingredients and sour cream until incorporated.
6. Place batter into a piping bag and pipe 1 1/2–inch discs onto a lined baking pan.
7. Bake for 5 minutes at 350 degrees or until springy to the touch. Allow them to cool.
8. To make the filling, combine butter and strawberry puree with a mixer on medium speed.
9. Slowly add in powdered sugar and continue to beat on medium speed until smooth.
10. Place a dollop of strawberry buttercream on every disc; sandwich two together to make whoopie pie.
11. Microwave the dark chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl for 20-second increments and stir until melted.
12. Dip whoopie pies halfway into the melted dark chocolate. Dust with granulated sugar or sprinkles and allow chocolate to harden.