Photo by Suzanne Krowiak
See Sternberg’s note at the end of the recipe for the secret to making extra thick bars.
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 225 grams pecans (approximately 2 cups)
- 130 grams brown sugar (approximately 2/3 cup, packed)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 145 grams coconut flakes (approximately 2 cups)
- 130 grams chocolate, finely chopped (approximately 2/3 cup)
- 12 pitted dates
- Put flaxseed in a small bowl and stir in 2 tablespoons of warm water.
- Blend pecans, brown sugar, salt and coconut flakes in a food processor.
- Add chocolate and dates to the food processor and pulse into incorporated.
- Spoon in flaxseed mixture and continue pulsing until batter is tacky.
- Place mixture in 9 x 13-inch pan and refrigerate. Cut into bars and serve.
- Keep refrigerated for easier handling.
Sternberg’s pro tip:
“I repeat this process again so I can get nice, thick brownie-like bars without overcrowding my food processor. After making my second batch, I press both mixtures together into the 9 x 13-inch pan and chill in the fridge for about 25 minutes. Then cut into bars and serve.”