At her sandwich shop inside Flat 12 Bierwerks, Kristina Mazza gives Hoosiers a taste of her Pennsylvania Dutch culinary upbringing. For stay-at-home sandwich chefs, she recommends this full-powered mustard featuring the brewery’s dark and hoppy Pogue’s Run Porter.
Whole Grain Pogue’s Run Porter Mustard
1 cup yellow mustard seeds
1/2 cup brown mustard seeds
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons horseradish
16 ounces Flat 12 Bierwerks Pogue’s Run Porter
- Mix first nine ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add 12 ounces of porter and mix thoroughly.
- Cover bowl and refrigerate until liquid is absorbed and seeds are plumped (at least three hours).
- Put half of the batch into a food processor along with 2 ounces of porter. Blend on high for 1 minute or until the mustard becomes creamy. Remove and add the rest of the mustard and 2 ounces of porter. Blend on high for 1 minute or until the mustard becomes creamy.
- Refrigerate overnight to allow the mixture to thicken.
- Slather onto your favorite lunch meat.