- Deep-fried Girl Scout Cookies at the Indiana State Fair. Batter-dipped Samoas meld deliciously with their doughy encasement: rich chocolate and caramel turn molten; toasted coconut provides some texture; and the shortbread cookie ring makes for a buttery base. Dusted with powdered sugar, these little calorie bombs are among the best deals along the strip, at $5 for half a dozen. Eat them while they’re hot.
- A scoop of creamy cole slaw at Steer-In (5130 E. 10th St., 317-356-0996), with its veggies shredded, church lady-style, to a pulp and side packet of salad wafers.
- Piping-hot nibs of tempura-battered fish and chips at Rock Bottom (10 W. Washington St., 317- 681-8180; 2801 Lake Circle Dr., 317-471-8840).
- The seared scallops–and–goat cheese appetizer at Iozzo’s Garden of Italy (946 S. Meridian St., 317-974-1100), where the trick is to get a little bit of everything onto your ciabatta crisp: pesto-crusted scallop, warm herbed cheese, roasted veggies, and sliver of artichoke heart.
- The Top Chef–worthy sous vide–then–seared Maple Leaf duck breast with duck confit, fingerling potatoes, and a preserved lemon and fig chutney at student-run Eleven at the Pyramids (3500 Depauw Blvd., Pyramid 2, 317-613-4938).
>> MORE: To Eat or Not to Eat—State Fair Dos and Don’ts, now through Sunday, Aug. 19